Australian microbiologist living in New Zealand. Loves Jenny, family (3+1 ch; 5 Gr’ch), work, golf, wine, life. 51 years university hospitals, industry and consultancy. International speaker on Sharps Injury Prevention & Hospital Waste Management. Serves on sharps container standards in 4 countries + ISO. 87 publications and reports; more than >200 presentations in 22 countries, received several awards for his work. Member WHO Ebola Response Team in Sierra Leone 2015.
If I can help prevent one sharps injury today, I’ve had a great day!
• Fellow of the Australian Society for Microbiology; Grad Dip in Adult Educ & Training (UniSA).
• 87 Publications/reports; >200 presentations in 22 countries.
• Currently: Director, Grimmond and Associates, Microbiology Consultancy.
• Current Committee Member:
o ISO TC84 on Injection Safety (Canadian nominee).
o International WG on HealthCare Waste: International Solid waste Association
o Sharps Container Standards C’tees: South African, Canada, Australia & US:
o Standards Australia: Clinical Waste
• Current member: ASM (Aust); ACICP (Aust); APIC (US), IPS (UK); AOHP (US); ASTM (US).
• Former Chairman, ASTM Task Group reviewing USA Sharps Container Standard
• Former Committee Member:
o Australian NHMRC Federal Committee on Clinical Waste.
o Standards Australia: Microbiological Safety in Laboratories.
o A&NZ Clinical Waste Management Group (Now BWI): Industry Code of Practice.
o Chair, Sth. Aust. Government Review: Medical Waste Management
- Scientific Reviewer: AJIC; ISWA 2013; WM&R, JAOHP; HIJ; IFIC grants.
- 2018 Apr, Sharps Injury Prevention Seminar – 6 cities Canada & USA
- 2015 Nov, Invited Speaker ACIPC Nat Conf Hobart Australia (Sharps Injury urgency in Australia)
- 2015 Oct, Plenary Speaker IHHC National Conf Brisbane Australia (Ebola and Sierra Leone)
- 2015 Sep, Invited Speaker, APIC Washington DC (Heartache and hope in Sierra Leone)
- 2014 Sep, Plenary Speaker, AOHP National Conf New Orleans USA. (EXPO-STOP 2012 Survey)
- 2013 Oct, Speaker & Chair, ISWA Internat. Conf, Vienna Austria. (Hospital Waste reduction)
- 2013 Sep, Invited Speaker, AOHP National Conf, Orlando FL (USA EXPO-STOP 2011 BBFE Survey)
- 2011 Nov, Speaker Healthcare Conf, Chicago Il (CO2e Reduction with reusable sharps containers)
- 2010 Nov, Speaker ISWA World Congress, Hamburg DE (CO2e : reusable sharps containers)
- 2010 Sep, Infection Prevention Society UK Annual Conf (Small vs Large Sharps Containers)
- 2010 Sep, US Assoc Occ Hlth Prof Ann Conf (Reduction of Container-related Sharps Injuries)
- 2010 Feb, Invited Speaker, Webber International Teleclass (Sharps Injury Prevention Strategies)
- 2009 Sept, Invited Speaker, International Medical Waste Forum, London UK
- 2009 May, Keynote Speaker, Medical Waste Summit, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- 2008 Oct, Invited Speaker, Greater NY Hosp Assoc Educ Seminar (Sharps Injury Prevention).
- 2007 Oct, Keynote Speaker, Vic Inf Contr Assoc Annual Conf, Melb. (Sharps Injury Prevention).
- 2006 May, Invited Speaker, Greater New York Hosp Assoc (Sharps Injury Prevention).
- 2005 May, Invited Speaker, USA APIC SW Region (Sharps Injury Prevention)
- 2004 Aug, Keynote Speaker, NZ Annual Infection Control Conf. (Sharps injuries)
- 2003 Nov, Invited Speaker, Sharps Injury Symposia, London, Leeds UK
- 2002 May, Invited Speaker, Infection Control Practitioners Toronto Canada (Sharps Injury)
- 2001 May, Invited Speaker, Nat. Assoc. of Theatre Managers, London UK (Sharps Injury)
- 2000 Invited Speaker, Ministry Health, France (Clinical Waste & Sharps Management)
- 1998 Graham Ayliffe Inaugural Keynote, UK ICNA Annual Conf. (Medical Waste Management)
- 2018: Julie Schmid Award (Safety Device Audits USA)
- 2014: Significant Contribution Award – Canadian Standards Assoc. (Z316.6-14 Sharps Containers)
- 2010: USA ASTM Outstanding Achievement Award, (Review of USA Sharps Container Standard).
- 2009: Best Multi-discipline Research Study, St Vincents Res. Symp, IN, USA (Sharps Injuries).
- 1992: Aust Soc Microb Distinguished Teaching Award (medical microbiology).
- 1992: South Australian Gov. Outstanding Innovation Award (Medical Waste Reduction Systems).